Labels

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Special Córdoba Edition - Tapas Tuesday

I figured a special Tapas Tuesday edition from our recent trip to Córdoba would be needed after the delicious offerings that Taverna de la Montillana provided. While searching the internet for interesting tapas bars in Córdoba, I felt a little hesitant for great tapas because the tapas bars did not seem to be as plentiful or as popular as in Sevilla. But, I pinned a few on my Google maps and forgot what they were known for or what to order. I did remember, though, the specialities of Córdoba, the flamequín and the berenjenas con miel. 





When we arrived at Taverna de la Montillana, it was very quiet for a Saturday afternoon, with only two other tables occupied. The decor was very interesting with the typical Spanish bullfighting theme, but it was paired with a whole wall of deer antlers. The young waitstaff was very happy to assist me in ordering a Fino, when learning that Manzanilla, which I have grown to like in Sevilla, was not as popular in Córdoba. After one taste, I was immediately surprised with the different dryness and taste that it offered. We started with some aceitunas while browsing the menu and the chalkboard with the day's choices.




Immediately we knew two of our choices, as both of the specialities were on their menu. The first picture here shows the berenjenas con miel. If just glancing at this you might just think that they are fries, but these are a sweeter version minus the potato with an added bonus of honey. Eggplant is not one of my favorite items, but cut in strips and lightly deep-fried, these were a tasty treat for something delicate and different. I would highly recommend these, but watch out the are highly addictive!   




The second speciality, the flamaquín was something that we were not sure about, but knew it was a must in our time in Córdoba. The descriptions that we read were vague. They said something about ham wrapped in another meat, usually another pork piece, then fried. 




This was the what was brought out to our table. At first glance, it reminded my husband of a cordon bleu without the cheese. Obviously, this is not as fancy as the French delicacy, but it definitely has similarities. It was served with a garlicky mayonnaise and fries. 




The center is a piece of ham then wrapped with, in this case, some thin slices of pork loin, then lightly breaded a fried. It was an interesting mix of meat and definitely not for someone who does not like pork. It was fine by itself, but I thought the mayo made it complete. I recommend sharing this dish with another for it is quite filling. 




By now, the restaurant had completely changed from being quiet and slow to extremely busy and full of locals. There were people jamming into the restaurant and even a few waiting for tables at one point. I had eyed the carrilada de cerdo in the menu and knew that we had to have it. I have been searching this out in Sevilla and have yet to go to the right tapas bar for it. It was definitely the highlight of the lunch. Carrilada de cerdo, or pig cheek, is a delicacy in Spain. It is slow roasted and served with a gravy-like sauce. At this particular place, it was extremely tender and just fell apart when we cut into it. It had a certain taste that I attribute to eating different parts of any interior of an animal, but the sauce complimented it and made the dish whole. I would order this again and again. It was extremely satisfying, just like having a home cooked meal at my mom's house. 

Without a doubt, if visiting Córdoba again, I would seek out Taverna de la Montillana and its fine tapas. Go hungry and be prepared to be delighted!



No comments:

Post a Comment