Labels

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Signs 1

Signs are meant to catch our eye and draw us inside the store to spend money on their products. A lot of time and money used to be spent on signs and sadly, it is a dying art form in the States. Here, in France, there are not gigantic shopping malls where every store is plastered on one gigantic sign. Each shop has their way of getting your attention, whether it be a sign hanging from the storefront or a painted sign nearby. Some of these signs have been used for years and I hope, will continue to display the store's name proudly. I have been drawn to these signs and cannot help but take pictures of them. In a series of blog posts, I will take you through the signs of France. Enjoy!






This sign is what started it all for me. My husband and I were walking in Toulouse and I saw this sign hanging on the corner of a building. From that moment on, I started taking pictures of signs. It is quaint, simple, and I searched it out every time we walked on that particular street. It is one of my favorites. 







Here is a newer, more modern sign from Toulouse. It just goes to show that signs like this (simple and stylish) are still being made and used. 




Adam's Coiffure did not look like it existed anymore, but who would not go to this coiffure when looking at this sign. You could come out looking elegant and smashing, just like the sign!



Who still gets their shoes cobbled? If I did, I would definitely go to this Bottier. Not only did his sign take me back to different times, his store definitely looked like it had not changed since the 60s. 


I look forward to sharing more signs from France with you in the upcoming weeks.




J'ai fait un peu de bien ; c'est mon meilleur ouvrage.
François-Marie Arouet, dit VOLTAIRE, Épitres CXXI, à Horace

I did a little bit of good; it's my best work.

No comments:

Post a Comment