Labels

Friday, February 14, 2014

A Romantic & Relaxing Arab Bath

One step into the Arab baths in Sevilla takes you back to a different time. Hundreds to thousands of years ago people took bathing and relaxation to be part of not only their hygiene, but also as a healthy way of life and it should be an example for us modern day folk. Even back in that time, it was vital to give your body some TLC and relaxation.  

Courtesy of Aire de Sevilla


I visited the baths on my past visit to Sevilla three years ago and knew that I must go back when I returned to Sevilla, only the next time with my husband. The first time experience is always magical, but I was there by myself, while my husband took the streets of Sevilla to find the soccer stadium, his first passion obviously taking precedence over some baths. I longingly looked at other couples in this very romantic atmosphere and wished that my significant other were with me, relaxing and taking in this amazing, romantic atmosphere.  That first time, I was totally unprepared, I came in with big eyes and ordered the longest massage possible, why not? I used to be a massage therapist after all, when has a massage ever seem like a bad idea? In this instance, it was.  The longest massage is 45 minutes and that was 45 minutes that I did not have in the baths themselves. Half of my time… sure that half of the time I was getting a wonderful massage that I would normally not complain about, but I felt that I missed out on 45 minutes of prime soaking time. Not that I did not enjoy that first time, it was absolutely amazing and I left with my body completely relaxed and my touristy mind refreshed, but I also knew that I wanted to go back to experience it again.




Fast forward three years and this time imagine a couple, not on vacation, but one studying languages and trying their chance at living in Europe. When the topic of moving to Sevilla came up, I immediately remembered the Arab baths.  It only took two and half weeks of being in Sevilla before I scheduled our first appointment. I was fully prepared this time to take in all the areas to the maximum degree of relaxation and with my husband to boot.  Once past the booties (it is required to wear them at all times) and the changing rooms, the atmosphere is a reminder of simpler times. Candles light your way to a room filled with marble benches that are warmed underneath and this is where I found my husband after changing.  A nice employee explained in such a hushed voice that I strained to hear what she was telling us- where all the rooms were located. We sat for a minute and enjoyed a small glass of tea and let our body be enveloped by the aura of relaxation. 

Courtesy Aire de Sevilla
The first place we went was into the large pool of warm water. This is the largest of the pools and has many benches to sit while being immersed in the 36°C (96.8°F) water. All around are candles and the air is thick with sultry music. The space is a haven for easing your mind into a state of no return. Even though there are multiple people all around you, you still have a sense of being alone or in my case, alone with just my one and only. We found ourselves in a corner floating next to each other and unwinding together. Eventually we floated toward the back of the pool where the steps to the other two pools are located.  A few steps out, and it was into the hot pool next.

Courtesy of Aire de Sevilla

This pool is a balmy 41°C (105.8°F) and much smaller than the warm water bath. Keep in mind that the difference with these baths from a spa setting in the States is that there are no jets, they are just large wading pools. Set in an alcove with even less light and an even more romantic feel, you could tell this is where the body feels sedated the most. On numerous occasions, I saw people floating in meditative poses and looking completely at ease.  This hot water pool is needed in combination with the cold water bath. When it gets to be just a bit too hot for you, an instant refresher is just a few steps away.

The cold water bath is just small enough for two people and this is to regulate water temperature. In the corner is an ice machine that pours out thinly shaved ice onto the cold marble surrounding it, keeping it at a cool 15°C (59°F). Going down into the icy water is a straight shock to the system, especially the first time in. I heard many times from numerous people, small cries of sheer surprise or hatred for their response to the frigid waters. This was easily my husband’s favorite place as he dunked himself into the icy abyss numerous times. I am not a cold water fan, but this is a refreshing treat after the heat and I knew that the stairs into a much warmer pool were only a few steps away.

Courtesy of Aire de Sevilla

After relaxing and utilizing all three of the pools for a bit, we headed down a level to the saltwater pool. This pool is in one of the original rooms of the bathhouse from centuries ago. The ceiling is arched in old stone and there are flickers of light from the candles on the old brick walls. The sense of floating and having the feeling of weightlessness is supposed to be one of the best ways to completely relax and let go of any thoughts in your mind. This seemed to be one of the least popular places in the baths, and I am not sure why. And maybe because of that, it was easily my favorite place, as I love floating and not thinking about anything. I think it is also one of the most romantic rooms in the baths and on several instances I snuck a few kisses to my husband. 

A visit to the steam room or hamman was next in order. There was a light smell of aromatherapy in the vapors of thick mist as we entered. It is hard to not appreciate a great steam, especially when you are already wet and not worried about looking like a sweaty mess. They have mastered making the room very steamy, but not too thick that you cannot breathe. The benches add a comfort to the room to sit, relax, and chill. The mist transforms around you and envelopes your body like you are sitting on cloud. I just happened to be on my own personal cloud lying next to my husband, feeling his relaxed limbs resting on me and breathing in the happiness of pure relaxation.

I thought at this point that I was so relaxed that my muscles should have been pure jelly. But stopping into the room with a thousand jets proved that there were still a few muscles that needed some pampering. They are not joking with the thousand jets and it is easily not the room to go into if you do not want a frequent showering of water in your face. What makes these jets so special is that they are situated in different areas on the walls or benches to penetrate all areas of the body. One wall has a bench that has mid and lower back jets, another wall has upper back and shoulder jets, while another wall has bench jets for your legs and hips. It is really interesting to see what area people gravitate to and I found myself to the last wall (when it was available) where the neck and head jets were. It is a scary looking device and not for the light hearted. It is a half circle of jets that mean business and hit at the base of your neck.  You are able to hit anywhere on the head or neck with these powerful jets and there is no way not to spray anyone who is close to you. I made a stop at this a few times during our two hours, while later finding out that my hair did not thank me for it because it was literally in knots from the force of the jets. 

I would never end in that room, as it is more for the treating of sore muscles, instead of relaxing. We went into the relaxation room and filled up on some tea and water while lounging on the heated benches. Ready for another round of the pools, we headed back in. This time we were able to snag a corner and lie in each other’s arms and slowly work out any leftover tension in our necks and shoulders. At this moment, time seemed to stand still and I was in a complete state of relaxation. Knowing that our time was nearing the end, we hit our favorites one more time and headed into the changing rooms. This experience was utterly romantic yet also very relaxing, this being the very reason why I wanted to go with my husband.  I just happen to think that this is one of the most romantic places on earth and luckily it is paired with complete relaxation.




No comments:

Post a Comment